Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The "Dating" Ultrasound...

I had my "dating" ultrasound on August 8th which I was extremely nervous about because...1) It would be the first time we would see the heartbeat and 2) It was going to be a pelvic ultrasound and I had seen the tool they use for those before...I was most nervous about the heartbeat because we had told our family about the baby and I was scared to death of not seeing a heartbeat and having to tell them bad news.

We arrived that afternoon and were called back to the ultrasound room. The girl doing the ultrasound was very sweet and reassured me that although it would be a little uncomfortable at first, I would be just fine and would eventually not be able to feel the probe. We got settled and the TV turned on above me and she started moving around trying to find the baby. Sure enough, there it was, a little peanut looking thing with a little white flicker in the center. She attempted to explain to us what we were seeing but both of us just stared at what looked like a blob on a screen. She took some measurements to figure exactly how far along we were and then advised us she was going to now take a look at my ovaries...

She started moving the probe to the right and left which I'm not gonna lie, was a little uncomfortable. I didn't care at that point because I had seen a heartbeat! As she looked around some more, there were different colors of grey, black and white showing up all over the TV screen (I had no idea what in the world we were looking at). She pointed out one of my ovaries and then stopped over several black spots. She called the "head sonographer" over to have a look and they started throwing out terms like "avascular," "are you sure," and "get the measurements for those two." While doing this they looked at Michael and I and said I know we are talking about things you don't understand but the doctor will go over everything with you after the ultrasound is over. I was terrified.

Not only was laying there for the rest of the ultrasound very frightened but then I had to go sit back in the lobby and wait for my actual appt which wasn't for another 30 minutes. I sat there and looked at the few little "peanut" pictures I was holding trying to think what they could be referring to...my first thought was that they were measuring tumors inside me and I had some sort of cancer or that I was going to die. I shared these thoughts with Michael and he reassured me that I was worrying for nothing and everything would be fine. I tried to take my mind off things by trying to figure out again where the head of the baby in the picture was. Finally they called my name...

We were taken back to the exam room and the midwife came in after a few minutes telling us that it looked like I was approx 8 weeks pregnant and my due date appeared to be March 22nd. She then proceeded to ask if anyone in my family had multiples...Micheal and I froze. Apparently those black "spots" they were measuring were actually two additional sacs. She then said..."you had triplets but only one of them is measuring appropriately." Oh my Word...triplets, really...I wasn't even convinced we were ready for one...three seemed like a cruel joke. I asked her what exactly that meant and she said the other two sacs should dissolve on their on and I seemed to have "dodged a bullet" because we were only going to have one baby! Michael and I were relieved that I did not have tumors inside of me and that we were going to have only one child. With that said, she did want to follow me closely and would discuss getting another PELVIC ultrasound in 4 weeks to keep an eye on things!

No comments:

Post a Comment